Accomplishing your educational goals is done on the achievements that most people celebrate in their lives. However, before you achieve these goals, there are several things that you need to consider when you are choosing the course of your choice. Consequently, when you are selecting a first aid course in Melbourne, there are so many…Read More
How to Choose a Medical Alert System for Seniors?
Do you have a loved one living away from home? Does any of your elderly prefer living the independent life? There are endless things which you might be worried about them with the major concern being their safety. There are medical alarm systems for the elderly which can help them live independent lives without having to compromise on their safety.
Some major concern include incidences of fall, stroke or heart attacks. Research has proved that one in every four elders suffer a fall almost on a daily basis. Since most seniors prefer living in their home, the incidences of a fall occur within homes.
There are different kinds of medical alert systems for the elderly. They all may be named differently but they actually provide a similar service that is provide immediate help in case of an emergency. Below is a lowdown of how these alert systems actually work.
How do medical alarm systems for the elderly work?
A medical alarm system is made up of three basic components. These include
- A radio transmitter in the form of a help button which is used by the elderly as a bracelet or worn around the neck
- A console which is connected to the telephone line
- An emergency base center which responds to distress calls
When the elderly press the help button, the base connects a call to the helpline center. This way the elderly are able to communicate their problems t the medical professional on the other line. These consoles are basically made to have two way speakers so both the operator and the elderly can hear each other. Some consoles are designed to place calls even when the landline is busy. This kind of console is called seizing the line. The operator is also responsible for sending out alerts to other members of the family or the next of kin who have been listed. See this website to see personal alarms for the elderly available in Australia.
Things to keep in mind when looking for alarm systems for the elderly
When buying medical alarm systems for the elderly make sure to keep the following things in mind
- Get to know the pricing and contract terms. Most companies charge the fees in a different manner. Some have quarterly plans, monthly and even yearly plans.
- Keep your eyes open for additional fees etc
- What features are possessed by the alarm system? Are they deigned according to a senior’s particular needs. For example a senior could suffer from Alzheimer’s. They would need a medical alarm system which has GPS installed in it. Some have special motion sensing capacity which can send alerts if the elderly suffer a fall and suffer a concussion leaving them unable to press the help button.
- Some even come with special features like fitness trackers and medication reminders.
- What is the range and portability of the system? Does the system provide adequate coverage is the elderly is away from home. Considering these features is pretty important if you want to ensure complete safety of your loved ones.