While going to a dentist at least once or twice a year is necessary for dental health, there are a few things which your dentist wished you knew. The following list is a compilation of interesting facts on oral health by the dentists at dental clinic in Hervey Bay.
- Plaque is the sticky film which covers the teeth. Despite the fact that you think your teeth look clean. Plaque is often not visible in the front teeth. While brushing teeth is god but it’s necessary to brush at least twice a day and for two minutes or so. On the other hand make sure you visit the dentist at least twice a year to help them floss and clean your teeth to help get rid of plaque in hard to reach areas.
- Dental X-rays do not cause any harm. Nor do they cause cancer. The amount of radiation you are exposed to is minimal and won’t cause any problems. So the next time your dentist suggests a dental X-ray, have no fear. If you don’t allow them to take an X-ray they might miss on something important and may not be able to help you.
- When someone who is a stranger looks at you for the first time, the first thing they notice are your eyes. The next they see is your teeth and then your hair. But people spend more on their hair then on their teeth. So make sure you have a beautiful smile to create a first great impression on people.
- While your dentist would never voluntarily tell you that you have bad breath, at least not until you ask. However, bad breath could be an indication of another underlying dental issue which should be checked as well.
- While a dentist can certainly use cosmetic procedures to enhance the look of your teeth, they may not be able to give you a celebrity smile. You can’t have the dentist get you a smile like Jennifer Aniston because you dot have a face which look like theirs to have the same dental structure.
- Letting children go to sleep with a bottle is bad for their dental health. Formula milk is known to cause dental decay in young children.
- Chewing gum is a great way of getting rid of the bacteria in the mouth. Xylitol gum can help keep the cavities away as well.
- Mouth piercings pose a huge risk of infection. Your dentist would be the first person to ask you to reconsider a mouth piercing. There have been cases where there was a need to cut out some tongue tissue. Certainly something which doesn’t sound too pleasant. Also people who have a tongue piercing are at risk of their front teeth becoming chipped off over the long run.
- Pulling teeth is much faster and easier than you think. While you may consider it painful, the dentist use the right amount of anesthesia so you don’t really feel a great deal of pain.
Look for a Hervey Bay dental clinic to help solve dental problems.